BNF for Children January 2021 Update
This update contains 7 significant changes, 1 dose change, 3 new monographs, 3 new preparations and 2 deleted monographs.
• Antibacterials, use for prophylaxis: updated guidance for the prevention of secondary Haemophilus influenzae type b disease.
• Darunavir with cobicistat (Rezolsta®) in combination with other antiretroviral medicinal products for the treatment of human immunodeficiency virus-1 (HIV-1) infection in adults and adolescents (aged 12 years and older with body weight at least 40 kg) [AWMSG guidance].
• Eye: updated guidance for expiration of eye preparations.
• Ferric carboxymaltose (Ferinject®▼): risk of symptomatic hypophosphataemia leading to osteomalacia and fractures [MHRA/CHM advice].
• Interactions: drugs that cause myelosuppression: pharmacodynamic effects drug group revalidated and updated.
• National funding decisions: advice from NICE, SMC, and AWMSG now briefly referenced in relevant monographs—funding body website should be accessed for full details; see Guidance on prescribing.
• Vaccination, general principles: updated guidance.
• Sodium feredetate [update to dosing for iron-deficiency anaemia (prophylactic)].
• Otigo® [phenazone with lidocaine].
• Rezolsta® [darunavir with cobicistat].
• Tybost® [cobicistat].
New Preparations: Lecicarbon A® [sodium acid phosphate with sodium bicarbonate]; Lecicarbon C® [sodium acid phosphate with sodium bicarbonate]; Symbicort® 100 micrograms/3 micrograms per actuation pressurised inhalation [budesonide with formoterol].
Deleted Monographs: Sodium stibogluconate; Ticarcillin with clavulanic acid.
For further details on changes in the BNFC click on