British National Formulary April 2022 Update
This update contains 10 significant changes, 2 dose changes, 3 new monographs, 2 new preparations, and 3 deleted preparations.
• Antiplatelet drugs: guidance added on the use of antiplatelet drugs for transcatheter aortic valve implantation.
• Buprenorphine: updated information on available transdermal patch strengths and prescribing considerations.
• Chlorhexidine [primary therapeutic area changed to genito-urinary system, secondary therapeutic area changed to oropharynx].
• Chloroquine: increased risk of cardiovascular events when used with macrolide antibiotics; reminder of psychiatric reactions [MHRA/CHM advice].
• COVID-19 antivirals: reporting to the UK COVID-19 Antivirals Pregnancy Registry [MHRA/CHM advice] (advice in molnupiravir, nirmatrelvir with ritonavir, and remdesivir; see example in remdesivir).
• COVID-19 vaccines: updated guidance in-line with UK Health Security Agency recommendations.
• Hydroxychloroquine sulfate: increased risk of cardiovascular events when used with macrolide antibiotics; reminder of psychiatric reactions [MHRA/CHM advice].
• Immunisation schedule: updated guidance in-line with UK Health Security Agency recommendations.
• Ivacaftor: Ivacaftor, tezacaftor, elexacaftor (Kaftrio®▼) in combination with ivacaftor (Kalydeco®): risk of serious liver injury; updated advice on liver function testing [MHRA/CHM advice].
• Smoking cessation: updated guidance on management.
• Eltrombopag [addition of Southeast Asian ethnicity to dosing for treatment of chronic idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura and aplastic anaemia].
• Etanercept [update to dosing].
• Minjuvi® [tafasitamab]
• Paxlovid® [nirmatrelvir with ritonavir]
• Vumerity® [diroximel fumarate]
• Luforbec® [beclometasone with formoterol]
• Vaxelis® [diphtheria with tetanus, pertussis, hepatitis B, poliomyelitis and haemophilus influenzae type b vaccine]
• Buplast® [buprenorphine]
• Prenotrix® [buprenorphine]
• Synflorix® [pneumococcal polysaccharide conjugate vaccine (adsorbed)]
For further details on changes in the BNF click on https://www.medicinescomplete.com/#/content/bnf/PHP107699